[mountainmilers] Re: Sunday run day @ Groom Creek

  • From: Golfdood51@xxxxxxx
  • To: jsundogg@xxxxxxx, mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:29:00 -0500 (EST)

Unfortunately, I will be in southern calif or I would try the 2 mile fun
run.  I have done significant marathon training there.  I can pretty  safely
say - there are no good options and I love Groom Creek.

If you go the half marathon course - you would have to go into Ponderosa
Park and a brutal return.  Very tough.

If you go towards Crown King on Senator Highway- about 4 miles onto the
dirt it starts to get rocky, twisty and tough.

If you run towards town on Senator Highway you get squeezed in spots where
the shoulder is nearly zero.  I have done this many times and would not
recommend it.

If it were me and I am glad it is not based on my current fitness level - I
 would run straight out Senator Hwy onto the dirt road (past the 10k course
 turnaround).  Turn left onto Walker Road.  Run past Hassayampa Lake,  run
into Potato Patch and Walker, clock the miles and if you don't get enough
when you return to Senator hwys dirt road, turn left and go further out
Senator  past the water falls and hopefully you can turn around before it gets
kinda  nasty.   This will be a very very scenic run.  Tough.  No  doubt my
name will be mentioned in a non-complimentary way if you do this.

Cindy, Brooke, Len and did most of this one day and we had a blast.

Ken

In a message dated 1/23/2013 1:31:19 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
jsundogg@xxxxxxx writes:

Ok  folks,

It is time to reassemble at the ol' stomping grounds this Sunday  the
27th for some miles up in the mountains.  Some of us will be  doing the
10K and some of us will be trying for 20.  Start time is  9am at the
Groom Creek Fire Station.

PS - for those of you that  have accumulated long runs up in that
neighborhood, we are open to some  suggestions.

:)  Cheers,

Jessica  L.

Any problems or  questions about this mail list feel free to contact
fieroc4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx