[moneytalks] Re: void/cancel

  • From: dan ceppa <goddanc1redmond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:43:34 -0800 (PST)

Some of this depends on why a check is bveing voided.  If the check is
completely no good, that works.  However, there arde the cases where a check
gets mis-printed.  In that case, all that should be necessary is to re-print
the check and change the check.

BUT----  That messes up the check numbering system.  I've been able to both
input duplicate check numbers as well as get the program itself to generate a
duplicate check number.
 When there is a check which I choose to void for  whatever reason, I created a
payer name of Void.  In the debit field, I  made it $0.00.  In the item field,
I entered the check number which I  voided.  I used the category name of Void,
and didn't choose to use a subcategory in this case.  In the memo field
sometimes I write where the check was supposed to go to or most usually, I
leave  this field blank.  But since the memo field is a free-flowing type of
field, one can write whatever they want in their that would be meaningful to
them.

Now whenever I run across an instance where I need  to void a check, I just
type in the first few letters of the word void while  entering a new
transaction.  I then arrow down to have the program locate  that payer, and the
category field is automatically filled in as void.  I  make sure to put the
correct check number in the Item field and save the  record.

 Of course, if I have already written out the check  I make sure to clear that
record too with the delete key while focused on that  record.
 The memo idea is good, but it is also helpfull to keep most of the info in the
register.  A Void Field would be nice to have.