[modeleng] Re: vacuum brakes

  • From: "Andy A" <AndyA@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:27:06 -0000

Hi Gary
Setting up for vacuum brakes is fairly straight forward but you are going to
need some 'extra' parts. Firstly you need a vacuum ejector, available from
all the usual suppliers. These come in small, medium and large flavors. If
you are going to have a 12 coach train go for the large one, otherwise I'd
stay with a medium. The danger of having an ejector that is to large is one
of overpowering the brake valve, basically you can create the vacuum faster
than you can destroy it. This can also be minimized by ensuring the brake
valve you use has a 'lap position. When the brake is in the 'lap' position
the ejector should be isolated from the train pipe. The ejector needs a
steam supply from the boiler so a spare valve on the manifold is necessary,
but you will also need to provide an exhaust for it. Some people plumb this
into the smokebox others just let it exit from a pipe under the cab. Full
boiler pressure is fine but low boiler pressure will cause problems as the
ejector will not function correctly giving a low vacuum and hence dragging
brakes. Most clubs vacuum brakes work at 10inch of mercury and model
ejectors are capable of creating a higher vacuum than this so you will need
a vacuum relief valve to prevent damage. This should  be positioned on the
engine. A vacuum gauge is the next thing you are going to need and this
should be connected to the train pipe. Model engineer carried an article on
vacuum brakes some years ago I will see if I can find it for you as it
explains it all and shows how to 'plumb' it all together.

Andy