[modeleng] Re: vacuum brakes

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:24:08 +0000

I'm no expert....

I know for certain that you will need a steam ejector to raise the vacuum.

You will also need a vacuum brake control handle (self lapping is
easiest to use).  Self lapping means that when you move the brake handle
to a certain position, the braking force remains constant.  On older
(12" / foot) systems you used to have to get the brake force you wanted,
then move the brake handle into a separate "lap" position that held the
brake force.  To change the level of braking you then had to move it out
of "lap" and either increase or destroy the vacuum as required.

You may also need a vacuum reservoir (not sure about that!)

PNP railways do a good selection of parts

http://www.thewebfactory.co.uk/pnprailways/index.htm

Cheers

Peter