[modeleng] Re: Workshop insurance

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:53:14 -0500

In the states, though, a problem with homeowners after a disaster is that
unscheduled furnishings are limited in coverage to a percentage of the house
coverage.  That level is fine for an isolated loss such as Jesse mentioned
but it runs out quickly if the house and surroundings are burned out or
blown or washed away.  Valuation of collectibles (Lionel or Hornby trains,
for example) is a problem, but that pales compared to valuation of a
self-built item such as a locomotive.  Most carriers of homeowners insurance
will provide extra coverage for an extra fee of specifically scheduled
items.

The first step toward collecting on insurance after a loss is identifying
and valuing what was lost.  Once again, probably fairly easy with an
isolated loss such as Jesse suffered.  How many, though, have an inventory
of their goodies with costs and/or estimated replacement values?  Or even
videos or pictures showing the things with identifiable details?

Of course, with an inventory showing values, one wouldn't want that top
secret document to get into the wrong hands...

Charles