[modeleng] Re: Water gauge security

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 19:22:13 -0500

I get around having to fool with tightening sight glass fittings entirely.
I machine grooves in the top and bottom fittings so I can put in 1/16" "O"
rings as seals.  This is something I started doing 20 years ago with my
first locomotive and have found no need to change the system with five
subsequent boilers. Simple and easy to do and too bad I can't post a pic to
show you  how well it looks and works.

Jesse in Tennessee USA

 Hi all

 A incident occurred at my club's track today, the outcome of which could
 have been very nasty.  A new locomotive that had just been hydraulically
 tested was raising steam for the steam test.  As full pressure was
 approached, the gauge glass started to weep and the owner decided to nip up
 the nuts with a spanner.  Nothing wrong in that, but what happened next was
 most alarming.

 The water gauge on this particular loco follows a fairly conventional
 design, with top and bottom fittings screwed into threaded bushes in the
 boiler. The problem with this design, is to get both fittings pointing in
 the right direction so that the glass passes through without binding.  The
 builder had achieved this by experimenting with copper washers of various
 thicknesses, until he was happy that the fittings were tightened up in the
 correct orientation.

 Now we all know that what is tight in a cold boiler, isn't necessarily
tight
 in a hot boiler.  When the owner tried to tighten the bottom nut, he
 succeeded in freeing off the bottom fitting so that it rotated and
shattered
 the glass.  The resulting spray of steam and hot water travelled backwards
 out of the cab for a distance of about six feet, and the owner was lucky to
 get his hand and face out of the way without being severely scalded.

 It occurs to me that no matter whether the top or bottom nut is tightened,
 the torque of the spanner will always try to unscrew the fitting.  Has
 anyone else on this list had a similar problem and if so, what did you do
 overcome it?

 Regards
 Ron Head
 City of Oxford SME