[modeleng] Re: Trepanning(?) copper

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:05:45 -0400

Hi Bob,

Good tips. I use a brass brush to clean files if needed, NOT a steel wire
file card. The steel wire ones also break the teeth gradually. Chalk on a
file is particularly good before filing aluminum to prevent loading up.

Basic benchwork like filing and marking out is becoming a lost art,
unfortunately, except in ME circles. Most machinists and toolmakers I work
with that are under 30 have very little or no experience in basic bench
work, and look to power tools for everything. If they can't finish a job
with the power tools, they ask for a design change so they can. Example -
squared corners required to fit an electrical switch through a panel. The
opening can be cut radiused with the mill or waterjet / laser cutting, then
the corners dressed in a few minutes with a file. Lots of times I've been
asked either to research and find a new switch which works with radiused
corners, or make runouts of the cutter past the square edge to avoid filing
the rads. Lots of times I've pulled out a 4" warding file and finished the
job in minutes, to stupefied onlookers.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada