[modeleng] Re: The Rocket

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 19:07:43 +0000

Hi Kenny,

If I'm not mistaken Rocket's claim to fame was as the winner of the 1829
Rainhill trials. These trials were held to determine if steam haulage was
practical for the Liverpool and Machester Railway and if so, which company
had the best engine for the job.

The Rocket had a number of innovative features but some substantial flaws as
well (as most of the pioneering engines did). Multiple fire tubes and an
exhaust blast nozzle were two of the best new features, but weak frames,
thin unjacketed cylinders, wood spoked driving wheels, low adhesion from
only two drivers, a very dicey reversing setup, and the firebox being only
partly water jacketed were some flaws.

A fascinating engine in any case.

Cheers Jeff Dayman