[modeleng] Re: Superheater trouble

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:43:24 +0000

On my Simplex I had a radiant super-heater - it poked up into the top of
the firebox.  The tubes were stainless steel as was the return
block/bend (as in the Simplex book).  The stainless steel was brazed by
a friend and I silver soldered copper to the stainless at the smokebox
end which itself was silver soldered into the wet and dry headers.

I don't think that even with the radiant super-heater you dry much of
the steam, so I wouldn't worry about the slide valves, all they need is
lubrication from the steam oil and whether it is wet or slightly damp
makes little difference.

When I was building my Simplex the debate wasn't about damaging slide
valves, it was whether or not in a 5" gauge locomotive that the
super-heater had any effect anyway!

Cheers

Peter

Does that make sense?