[modeleng] Steel Wheels O/T Axle end play

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:46:27 -0600

At 09:08 AM 11/18/05 -0800, you wrote:
>How much end play is allowable for axles?

Al,
    Depends upon which axles, and of how many.  A 2-10-0 might need quite a
bit, but an 0-4-0 not so much.  With axleboxes centered in their slots my
TICH has about .025" total free lateral movement in each axle.  Primarily
this is to allow the axleboxes some lateral relief as they ride in their
horns.  I didn't have anything to detemine this by . . . it just seemed
about right to me.  Eventually the loco will let me know if I gave it enough.

Regards,
Harry