[modeleng] Re: Steam to the rescue!

  • From: "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:34:12 +0100

Steam trains go "chuff chuff", especially uphill and especially in the land
where they were invented. Indeed, they are still often referred to as
"chuffers", sometimes sentimentally and sometimes less so .....  To explain
to a poor Colonial, if it was chuffed to bits, it was over worked and
chuffed too much in fact, yeah unto death, or at least until something fell
off, whilst being chuffed, that is pleased, at being allowed to serve whilst
doing so! Or are you pulling our chuffers ??? <VBG> All this before we even
get on to Harold Steptoe (a British fictional TV character, a ragamuffin in
fact) one of who's favourite expressions was "colder than a penguin's
chuff", thereby introducing yet another, third meaning .... and he didn't
mean their feet!

TonyW.