[modeleng] Re: Off to the Far East

  • From: Bede McCormack <bede@xxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:55:57 -0400

The National Transport Museum in Ueno in Tokyo is worth a visit, you
can "drive" a retired power bogie from a subway car they have on blocks
there and watch the rheostats or whatever those things are
progressively click into place as the speed increases.  Or you can
drive the Shinkansen simulator.  They also have a good collection of
(static) steam engines, full sized (cape gauge, though) and model.  One
model engine there is a 5" gauge GN atlantic built by the "LBSC" of
Japan, Seiichi Watanabe.  He built dozens of live steamers over the
decades, almost all UK outline, and this 5" incher was built just after
WWII and named the "Flying Jiro" after his older brother who was killed
in the war.  I knew Watanabe-san when I lived there and belonged to the
local ME club that actually meets at the museum once a month.  Kozo
Hiraoka of Shay fame is also a member and used to attend regularly.

Tokyo also has several streetcar/tram lines that still run which are
worth a ride, the Arakawa-sen from Waseda Station to Minowabashi
Station, and also (my favorite) the Setagaya-sen from Sangenjaya
station to to Shimotakaido station.

There are two live steam lines I know of near Tokyo, one in Chichibu
and the other in Shizuoka.  The Chichibu line is interesting as the
engine they use is actually owned and operated by the main JR Railway
Co. and is scheduled into their regular weekend operations.  One site I
found is
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Oliver.L.Mayer/japan/verkehr/
steam.htm

Also, west of Tokyo is the hotspring resort town of Hakkone where they
have a traction train (the  "Tozan Tetsudo" or "mountain climbing
railway") that claws its way via switchbacks up the side of the
mountain there, twisting and turning through the woods, over streams,
etc.  You can reserve a hotel room at any tourist info center, but tell
them you want it to be on a  "Tozan Tetsudo"  stop.  Staying at a
traditional Japanese hotel or "Ryokan" is worth the price- be sure to
request a hotel with an outside bath or "rotenburo".  Take the Odakyo
express train to Hakkone, about an hour from Shinjuku station.  in
central Tokyo and change for the Tozan tetsudo at Hakkone.  As the
Odakyu train approaches Odawara and Hakkone, watch as the track changes
to dual gauge (cape and standard), including pointwork.  This is also
very doable as a day trip from central Tokyo.

Or just hang out in a major station like Shinjuku or Tokyo during rush
hour and be amazed.

Have fun!
Bede McCormack
Brooklyn, NY