[modeleng] Re: Needle roller bearings

  • From: John Baguley <baggo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:54:20 +0100

Hi Ron,

I have fitted drawn cup needle roller bearings to all the axles of my
2½" 4-8-4 Helen Long. The bearings run straight onto silver steel axles
and the usual side play is allowed so the axle can float from side to
side. I don't think you will have any wear problems - the axles and
bearings will outlast the rest of the loco! Most of todays loco
designers use this combination.

There was some discussion about needle roller bearings on another forum
and some members seemed concerned about the life of plain silver steel
axles. As a result of this I conducted an experiment using a 10mm bore
bearing running on a silver steel axle as fitted to Helen. I connected
the axle to a motor running at 1440rpm and hung a 16.5 pound weight on
the bearing to simulate the load. This was the equivalent of a 2½" 0-6-0
loco weighing 99 pounds - a much greater loading than in real life
(Helen weighs about 45 pounds). The 'axle' was left running for a total
of 230 hours which in Helen's case would have equaled a distance
travelled of 3,400 miles! After this, there was no measureable wear on
the axle at all, only a slightly matt finish to the bearing surface. You
can see the experiment here:

http://www.baggo.copperstream.co.uk/me/locos/25inch/helen%20longish/helen19.htm.

I intend to fit needle rollers to my Simplex axles which are 3/4"
diameter and will again be silver steel.

John