[modeleng] Re: Model prices

  • From: "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:53:25 -0000

As I am looking for a large format roll film camera Alan, it seems that the
same is happening all the way round - people are buying second hand rather
than new, thereby driving their prices up, but still not as much as the
price of new gear. The kit suppliers are caught with the double whammy of a
receding market and the hike in metal prices of a few months back. Although
scrap metal prices are now falling again (especially brass from my old
cartridge cases "darn" it! <sigh>), too many manufacturers still hold stocks
of metal bought at the height of the market with reduced economies of scale
through falling sales.

Perhaps what you are therefore seeing is a price hike due to metal price
increases, plus a demand for kits rather than completed models. Anything
which is a cheaper alternative to buying new, fully finished, articles in
fact. I wonder if such as Round House who do do fully finished locos are
also seeing more people buying their locos in kit form rather than fully
finished?

TonyW.