[modeleng] Little lathe complete

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:51:54 -0000

Hello everyone
This is a red-letter day - after many false starts, and several years of
playing in the workshop, I have completed the little lathe that I have been
making from scratch.

I wish to thank you all for your encouragement and for your suggestions -
particularly over the possible methods of producing the change-wheel cover.
After considering all of the suggestions, I made a cardboard model of the cover
and took it to a friendly sheet-metal-basher who followed my cardboard template
and created it from sheet steel, at a very moderate cost.

This has been a happy project for an old codger, and has produced a little
screwcutting lathe, which works very well indeed.   I have learned a lot in the
process!

For anyone wishing to make a similar lathe, I have one word of advice - this is
NOT a cheap option - the materials and accessories (chucks etc) cost a lot more
than buying a Chinese lathe!

If anyone wishes to see a couple of pictures, please contact me on
shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I will spend the next year making a series of accessories for the little beast.

Cheers!    Hubert