[modeleng] Re: Heat proof body filler

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 15:28:56 +0100

Indeed. It happend quite often.

What I am also finding  is parts that I look at, see the mistakes I made,
and wonder how on earth I managed to make the mistake in the first place,
but more importantly, why I allowed it to stay, rather than rectifying it.
(OK, I know in some cases it was down to £££.)

As one example, when milling the smokebox saddle in the lathe, something
moved (dont recall what) with the result that I have a nice step and dig-in
on the side of the saddle.
I could have bought a new casting, or cut the side away and let a piece of
plate in, or....
At the time, I ignored it, and it didnt prevent the loco from running well
for many years.

Now, it irritates me.
I still dont want to buy a new saddle casting, and the time spent letting in
a piece could be better spent, but some filler...
Now that is a simple solution, albeit perhaps not good engineering.
Alan (the bodger)!