[modeleng] Re: Gunmetal / bronze

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:00:12 -0600

I have heard that aluminium bronze is difficult to machine so I am wondering
if possibly those pieces of brownish coloured wear strip I have might be
aluminium bronze.  You British chaps will note that I have spelt aluminium
and coloured correctly!  On occasion, I get brass castings that have a
little speck of aluminium showing on them and frequently that is quite hard.
The foundry moulds both brass and aluminium so sometimes a speck of
aluminium will be hidden in the moulding sand and fuse with the casting.

Jesse in cool damp, but not actually raining West Tennessee