[modeleng] Re: Gunmetal / bronze

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:09:05 -0000

Harry,
Looking at an old book, I see,
Gunmetal: 88% Cu, 10% Sn, 2% Zn
Various bronzes, with copper content between 58% and 95%.

The term "bronze" covers such a wide field that unless the exact
specification is known, it might have a variation in percentage of
constituents.
I would need to look up the British (or other) Standard to see what each
type contains.

About the only thing one can say with certainty, is that Phospher bronze has
some Ph, and Manganese bronze some Mn.
Of course, leaded varieties have some Pb.

I guess it is fortunate that for most of our purposes, almost any of them
will suffice, and availability is often the deciding factor..

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages

        We have a continuous cast bearing bronze designated CDA932 or
C93200 (SAE660 under our old system) and I use it for many needs where
small diameter Brz bar is needed.  Locally stocked length is usually 13"
and it's sold at a surprising number of places at reasonable prices (to me
anyway), mainly because I don't have to buy 10 feet!
       This alloy is typically Cu83 Pb7 Sn7 Zn3.  I've used it regularly
for boiler bushings larger than 5/8"OD (I have PhosBrz up to 5/8") and the
7% lead content seems to have no effect at all on the (silver)
solderability when properly prepared nor does it lead to dezincification.
I did check this last issue with the mfgs and found that at this level of
Zn content it is not a "brass" and dezincification is not a safety issue.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee