[modeleng] Re: Granite Surface Plate

  • From: kjones9154@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 05:12:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Roger,
I would be care full with this idea. I bought a marble floor slab (very similar
to that in the picture) for exactly the same purpose that you suggest. I think
it only cost a quid.
I was very disappointed when I got it home and checked, it had a 10 thou dip in
the middle!! I still can not work out how they managed to produce that effect.
Maybe they tightened it in a jig prior to polishing and the jig was so tight
that it distorted the slab.
I have had more luck with a chunk of marble rescued from a marble kitchen work
surface, they chuck away the piece that they cut out for the sink.
I hope this helps.
Ken Jones, in sunny but hazy Berkshire.