[modeleng] Clarke tools + grit blaster

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 06:59:57 +0100

I see that Clarke power tools (USA), supplied by Clarke International in the
UK via Machine Mart and many other dealers, has gone into liquidation.
Within days, a new buyer was found for the company, and the UK company
appears to be continuing as normal.

Fortunate, as many of their products are very useful, even though better
quality, and more expensive, versions are often preferable.

I am presently rebuilding my Jubilee, which is badly worn after many years
hard work.
Apart from renewing bearings etc, I am repainting it, and in the past, have
used a pals grit-blast cabinet to remove paint and prepare the surface.
However, that no longer being available, I recently bought the cheap Clarke
spot bast gun.
It only requires a small compressor, so is ideal for "home" use.

It is excellent. Using it with the fine aluminium oxide grit (also from
Machine Mart) it removes the paint and leaves a surface that is ideal for
taking paint.

For anyone else doing the same, do NOT use it in the workshop, the grit goes
everywhere.!
Either do it outdoors, which is expensive on grit, or make up a simple
cabinet, in which case, the majority of the grit can be saved and reused.

Alan