[modeleng] Re: Clarke tools + grit blaster

  • From: David Everett <deverett2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:12:33 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 12/7/09, Alan Stepney <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

.... I recently bought the cheap Clarke spot bast gun.  It only requires a
small compressor, so is ideal for "home" use.

It is excellent. Using it with the fine aluminium oxide grit (also from Machine
Mart) it removes the paint and leaves a surface that is ideal for taking paint.

For anyone else doing the same, do NOT use it in the workshop, the grit goes
everywhere.!
Either do it outdoors, which is expensive on grit, or make up a simple cabinet,
in which case, the majority of the grit can be saved and reused.

Alan
I looked at the Spot Blaster that you mention, but in the end bought (off eBay)
one of their small blast cabinets.  It comes as a complete unit and it is ideal
for preparing small castings and the like.  The cabinet is made of plastic, but
for £59.85 I can accept that!  It will be interestting to see how long it
survives - probably be OK for the rest of my model engineering life.   My
version would not be large enough for loco frames.  No problem about loosing
grit.

I have just done a quick search of Machine Mart products and find it is no
longer listed.  Their smallest cabinet is XH-SBC90 and there is one site on
eBay selling it now for £120 including delivery.  Still good value in my
opinion if you need a small blast cabinet.DaveThe Emerald Isle