[modeleng] City of Truro

  • From: Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Model Engineering List - Latest <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:11:55 +0100

Hi All,

    Alan asked for new topics - well this one isn't likely to start much
of a discussion - but I thought you might like to know about this:

    The City of Truro locomotive has been transported by road from the
National Railway Museum in York to Truro,  in Cornwall.   It has been
put on display on a short length of track,  right in the centre of Truro
city.   This is to commemorate the fact that one hundred years ago this
loco was the first man-made vehicle to travel at over 100 m.p.h.

    As they were unloading it from the low-loader the other day,  men in
suits arrived and said:   "This must stop.   The surface on which you
are placing this heavy item cannot support the weight."   The area in
question is a large flat pedestrian area,  recently re-built,  which is
built over a river,  which still flows underneath it.   The amazing
thing about this is that I cannot believe any organisation that has
planned such a display as this involving National organisations etc.
didn't check with the relevant people that the structure that was
supposed to support the weight of the loco and the ancillary bits and
pieces was strong enough.   I gather that the final outcome is that the
authorities have accepted that the event can go ahead,  but the Chairman
of the local Chamber of Commerce (who organised the event) has had to
sign a document which says that he will pay for any damage caused by the
weight of the exhibit.

    The media reckons that the total weight is in the region of 180
tons,  although the loco is only about 54 tons.

    I haven't been to see her yet,  she is there for another week,  so
sometime this week I will get to view her.   If I had a digital camera I
would take some pictures and post them - but I haven't moved to this new
technology yet!

    Anyone know why the loco was named after our county town (it might
not have been the county town one hundred years ago,  as Bodmin used to
be the county town)?

    Thought this might be of interest to the list.

       Cheers,

          Roger Mason,  in St. Agnes.