[modeleng] Cellulose or Enamel?

  • From: Jon Mottershaw <j.mottershaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:01:23 +0100 (BST)

Hi, Guys. I have completed painting a 5" loco with cellulose (car paint). It
was quick and easy and gave a good hard finish.Several members in my club use
car paint very successfully and even spray on a fuel proofer which makes the
paint go even harder. Everything was fine until during a steaming session the
boiler primed. It spouted water and wet steam from the chimney and quickly
lowered the water level in the boiler. Soon after I noticed that the paint was
blistering and appeared to have softened.What happened? Was there an acid
content coming from the chimney which the paint could'n't withstand, or was it
just excess heat from the boiler during the priming? I have been rubbing down
today and found the paint really hard - I had to use P120  to break up the
blisters. So I'm stuck. Should I persist with cellulose (assuming no more
priming) or should I revert to enamel? I know enamel can go on top of cellulose
safely but it takes a long time to harden.Can anyone give me
 some guidance? I wont be the first to have hit this problem, I 'm sure. Jon