Re: [MoAccess] DIM memory for motif ES

  • From: "Grant Zolninger" <gzolninger1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:13:01 -0500

This was very helpful. Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: moaccess-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:moaccess-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bryan Smart
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 8:30 AM
To: MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MoAccess] DIM memory for motif ES

The Motif (all models), have three kinds of memory: non-volatile,
volatile, and external storage.

Non-volatile memory is memory that keeps what you've stored in it, even
if you turn off the electrical power. This kind of memory is very
expensive, so the Motifs don't have much of it built-in. On the Motif,
the operating system software that runs the Motif is stored in
non-volatile memory. Also, any voices, performances, or arpeggios that
you've created are stored in the Motif's built-in non-volatile memory.
The Motif XS has more non-volatile memory than the earlier Motifs, and
so you can also store songs and patterns in its non-volatile memory.

Volatile memory will lose its contents when you turn off the power. This
is the kind of memory that is in your computer. The advantage to this
type of memory is that it is fairly inexpensive and fast. All of the
Motifs use volatile memory for storing samples. Samples must be loaded
into the volatile memory before they can be played. When you sample with
the Motif, your samples are recorded into this memory. When you load
samples from external storage, they're loaded into this memory.

External storage is a way of saving your work outside of the Motif. It
is used for backing up the information that is in the Motif's
non-volatile memory, so that the information could be moved to another
Motif, or so that the information could be reloaded if you need to reset
the Motif to its factory state. External storage is also used to store
all of your samples. Remember that samples are stored in volatile
memory, so, if you turn off the power to the Motif, they'll be lost. To
prevent this, you must store your samples on an external storage device,
and then reload them when you need them.

Different Motifs support different kinds of external storage. The
classic and ES will allow you to use a SmartMedia card. SmartMedia cards
will load and save data at high speed, however, SmartMedia cards can
only hold up to 128MB. The classic will allow you to attach an external
SCSI hard drive. The ES will allow you to attach external hard drives,
flashdisks, and CDROMs over a USB connection, though the USB connection
is the slower USB 1.1 type. The XS will allow you to attach USB devices,
but the devices will communicate over the faster USB 2.0 type
connection. Additionally, the XS can connect over a local area network
to load and save data directly from/to a file server.

I hope that this explains everything. You need RAM, and you need either
a SmartMedia card or a USB flashdisk. It doesn't matter what you get;
anything cheap will work.

bryan