[mira_talk] Re: suggestion to trim contaminants before assembly process

  • From: Laurent MANCHON <lmanchon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:41:57 +0100

Tony Travis a écrit :
Laurent MANCHON wrote:
--Hi

Just a message for MIRA community:

i have tested a sofware to trim vectors or others contaminants before
use of MIRA,
until now I was in the habit of using SeqClean or cross_match to remove
contaminants from sequences,
but i have pointed that those programs have some drawbacks and weaknesses.
Recently, i have used SeqTrim
software(http://www.scbi.uma.es/cgi-bin/seqtrim/seqtrim_login.cgi), it's
more reliable and accurate,
but it's a bit slower than SeqClean because there is no option to run in
multi-thread, the developers work on a new version to add multi-thread
feature.

Hello, Laurent.

Thanks for posting this: I've just had a look - How does it compare with "Lucy"?

Bye,

  Tony.

Lucy is a good tool but not easy to configure and you need to make several tests changing each time parameters to obtain good results, the major advantage of SeqTrim is the facility to configure and the connectivity with others processing tools particularly with RepeatMaskers. For more documentation and to compare with other tools i would suggest to read paper here: http://www.springerlink.com/content/r03453727548t69h/

have fun,
Laurent --