[mira_talk] Re: specifying working directory without actually cd'ing into it?

  • From: Leonor Palmeira <mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Evan <evan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:20:36 +0200

On 30/06/11 17:05, Evan wrote:
Except things like modified path variables aren't always easily
accomplishable when using tools like cron/at/make to schedule
assemblies.  Hence the request...

I still believe that instead of waiting for this feature to be implemented, this is a nice (and simple) workaround for it.

There is also no need to modify your $PATH as you can always launch it through:

/my/path/to/this/script/mira.bash /some/path <your mira parameters>

Leonor.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Leonor Palmeira <mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Well, this is exactly the same...
    You just keep your 'mira.bash' script somewhere in your $PATH, and
    then, you just call it with:

    mira.bash /some/path <your mira parameters>

    Problem solved.
    Wasn't this clear from my previous post?

    Leonor.

    On 30/06/11 16:45, Evan wrote:

        Simply put.... because:
        -------------------
        mira --new-pram=/some/path is easier than:
        -------------------
        #!/bin/bash

        dir=$1
        pars=($*)
        pars=${pars[@]:1}

        olddir=`pwd`
        mkdir $dir
        cd $dir
        mira $pars
        cd $olddir
        -------------------

        On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Leonor Palmeira
        <mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mlpalmeira@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

            On 29/06/11 08:17, Evan wrote:

                It makes scripting calls to mira a bit cumbersome at
        times when
                running
                a batch of assemblies or wanting a project to run on an
        ssd drive.

            Not sure I understand the need for this feature :-)
            But what don't you embed 'mira' in a small 'mira.bash'
        script that
            would look like this (and would hide the 'cd' part away from
        you).
            This would allow you to simply launch mira by:

            ./mira.bash your_directory --fasta --project=project_name
        [... all
            your MIRA options...] >& your_directory/log_assembly.____txt

            -------------------
            #!/bin/bash

            dir=$1
            pars=($*)
            pars=${pars[@]:1}

            olddir=`pwd`
            mkdir $dir
            cd $dir
            mira $pars
            cd $olddir
            -------------------

            Cheers,
            Leonor.

                On Jun 28, 2011 5:15 PM, "Bastien Chevreux"
        <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
        <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>>> wrote:
         > On Jun 27, 2011, at 23:04 , Evan wrote:
         >> Does anyone know if its possible to run mira from a different
                directory then where I want the <projectname>_assembly
        folder to
                be created?

         > No, not at the moment. Is there a special reason why going
                via "cd"
                is not wanted?

         > B.
         >

         > --
         > You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the

            Leonor Palmeira, PhD

            Phone: +32 4 366 42 69
            Email: mlpalmeira AT ulg DOT ac DOT be
        http://sites.google.com/site/____leonorpalmeira
        <http://sites.google.com/site/__leonorpalmeira>
        <http://sites.google.com/site/__leonorpalmeira
        <http://sites.google.com/site/leonorpalmeira>>

            Immunology-Vaccinology, Bat. B43b
            Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
            Boulevard de Colonster, 20
            University of Liege, B-4000 Liege (Sart-Tilman)
            Belgium