[mira_talk] Re: not=4 does not appear to be working on my Mac OS; system freezes after long read name lengths

  • From: John DeFilippo <defilippo.john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:14:24 -0400

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful response.

> Is it something you can do with a reference-guided assembly using only short
> reads,

We actually had our IonTorrent Proton reads mapped to the urchin genome from
the paper you referenced, but our’s is a  much more ancient species, and we
only got 16% alignment. Hence the plan to go denovo by adding long reads.

> The problem is that your short read coverage might be adequate, but your
> PacBio coverage is definitely not.

My understanding is that one PacBio library is good for 6-8 flow cells, and
we’ve done 3, so we could at least double our PacBio data using the same
library, if that starts to take us closer to adequate.

> are you prepared for the task?

Ignorance is bliss, and I don’t know enough to know what I can’t do. This is
all self-taught, and I’m game for trying.

> Do you have other bioinformatics resources elsewhere at your university to
> turn to?

Unfortunately the internet is my only other resource.

> What do you want out of the data?

We’re not looking for a high-quality draft assembly, more of a starting point.
We just feel like we should be able to get something from what he have, even
it’s not the best quality.

John