[mira_talk] Re: not=4 does not appear to be working on my Mac OS; system freezes after long read name lengths

  • From: John DeFilippo <defilippo.john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 18:15:46 -0400

Hi Chris,

> This is a good starting place.

OK… a plan! I appreciate your steering me towards this option.

> Put the known gene sequences that have hits in your data set in a multi-fasta
> file and use as the bait.

Just to be clear, the bait will be the full gene nt sequence of the immune
genes from the already sequenced urchin that I previously used as tblastn
queries and got hits against my urchin species database - the full nt sequence
of the ‘reference’ genes are the bait, correct?

> and assemble them independently for comparison with a reference or whatever
> else you are trying to do.

So even though we only got a 16% alignment of our Proton reads against that
reference genome, since now we’re only using genes with known significant
(protein) hits, assembling these with MIRA after mirabait becomes feasible.

>  your Ion data sets total 12 Gb

Right, we have a 3GB FASTQ file from our PGM run with about 6 million reads of
mean length about 230 bp, and a 9 GB FASTA file from our Proton run with about
34 million reads of mean length 118 bp, both of which I’ve used as databases to
query the other urchin’s immune genes against. Do I incorporate each of them in
mirabait individually or combined? And I’m guessing my PacBio data is totally
out the picture here.

> You might try a few different k-mer sizes depending on how similar the
> homologs are.

Clearly I’ll need to play around with this, but right now I don’t have a clue
what might be appropriate k-mer sizes to try. Poking around, I see that on
Penn's Galaxy server, the default k-mer size for mirabait is 31 - a decent
starting point?

Thanks again.

John