[mira_talk] Re: not=4 does not appear to be working on my Mac OS; system freezes after long read name lengths

  • From: John DeFilippo <defilippo.john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:01:40 -0400

Hi Rick,

>  run miramem?

I had no idea of chromosome sizes, but:
RAM estimates:
reads+contigs (unavoidable): 686.7 GiB
large tables (tunable): 3.8 GiB
---------
total (peak): 690.5 GiB
add if using -CL:pvlc=yes : 306.4 GiB

> That should give you a *rough* idea of how much memory you will need thus if
> you should even try to attempt to use your HPCC resource.

I think one of the systems they have is a 512 core (don’t know #CPUs) SGI box
with 4 TB RAM.
They have ICC intel and GCC AMD boxes, but I don’t know their specs.
They have many bioinformatics packages, not MIRA, but I imagine I could get
them to install it.

> it is unclear to me if your sizes refer to the number of bases or the actual
> file size.  In other words when you say, “Ion Torrent PGM (FASTQ ~ 3 GB),
> Proton (FASTQ ~ 9 GB), and PacBio (FASTQ ~ 78 MB) reads” does the 3 GB mean 3
> billion bases or 3 billion bytes in the file?

These are the #bytes in the FASTQ files.

> if the latter is the file zipped (compressed) or not?

These are uncompressed file sizes.

> I am trying to figure out if you have enough depth of coverage to assemble a
> 0.8 Gbase genome.

PGM run was about 6 million reads with mean length of about 230 bp, Proton run
was about 34 million reads with mean length of 118 bp, so only about 1x and 5x
of math coverage (don’t know how many of these reads might be duplicates).
PacBio was about 134,000 reads with about a 6.3 Kb read length.
I realize this is not very deep coverage at all for a denovo assembly, but we
were hoping that using the IonTorrent short reads with the PacBio long reads
would give us something. We’re not looking for a high quality draft assembly.

Thanks.

John