[mira_talk] Re: gap viewer

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:09:27 +0200

On Oct 8, 2013, at 17:46 , "Zhou, Kemin" <Kemin.Zhou@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> This may sounds a very primitive question.  How do I use Gap4 or 5 to open
> the assembly results from MIRA?
> I see there is an option for generating gap4 results.  This is off by default.

Chris already gave you the link to tg_index for gap5, so that's covered. I'm
sure you'll be able to find the preferred way for gap4 after this posting. But
I do have three questions for you and would be very, very happy if you could
answer honestly to them.

MIRA comes with a very extensive manual both in HTML and PDF format which are
present both online and in the downloadable packages. Here's an excerpt from
the table of contents:

------------------
Chapter 9. Working with the results of MIRA
  9.3. Converting results
    …
    9.3.2. Steps for converting data from / to other tools
       9.3.2.1. Example: converting to and from the Staden package (gap4 / gap5)

http://mira-assembler.sourceforge.net/docs/DefinitiveGuideToMIRA.html#sect_res_converting_reach_other_programs
------------------

There's even a more or less crude image depicting conversion routes in this
chapter; and I think I used somewhat descriptive titles and put all necessary
keywords in them to be found either by looking at the table of contents or
searching via CTRL-f in either browser or PDF viewer, but I may be wrong there.

Now to my questions:
1. what was the reason you did not find the corresponding section in the manual?
2. is there anything I could do better (reordering or renaming sections) so
that you might have found it?
3. when I use a non-personalised search on Google with something like "use gap4
mira", I get two or three links within the first 5 hits which I know do contain
a partial or even complete answer to your question. If you do such a search, do
you get something else?

I would *really* like to know.