[mira_talk] Re: a question about Nextera Kit vs TruSeq Kit

  • From: Shaun Tyler <Shaun.Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:20:17 -0600

We've only used the TruSeq nano so I can't speak for the others (although I
now might look at the ChIP kit).  We did start evaluating the NEBNext
version and it seemed OK but was going to need a bit of tweaking.  But that
was right when Illumina lowered the price on the TruSeq kits so the cost
savings wasn't worth the hassle.

Shaun

From:   Kevin Chen <wchen20@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   2014-11-05 08:31 AM
Subject:        [mira_talk] Re: a question about Nextera Kit vs TruSeq Kit
Sent by:        mira_talk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Absolutely! I agree with you Shaun that understanding what’s happening at
the web bench is helpful to understand the nature of the data.

Can I assume you are using the normal TruSeq DNA kit? I saw there are
recommendation on TruSeq nano (using at low as 100ng), or TruSeq ChIP kit
(handling 5-10ng), and even Rubicon kit (using 10-50ng). How do you like
these kits?

Thanks again for your great insight, much appreciated!

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Shaun Tyler <Shaun.Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
  We've actually gone as high as 30 cycles.  Typically if samples are below
  quantitation range we try to move only half of the library forward to the
  PCR step and do 15-20 cycles (depending on your mood that day).  Based on
  those results we may repeat the PCR with the remaining sample and
  increase the cycles by some arbitrary amount.  We do it that was to avoid
  reamplifying the amplified material but we've done that too when we have
  to.  This isn't something that I'd say is routine.  But it's come up a
  number of times when we've been virus fishing in clinical samples.  After
  depleting the host as much as possible you are usually going on blind
  faith that something is there.

  The other curious thing that we've encountered when doing excessive
  cycles is short insert contamination.  We don't see this when doing lower
  cycles and I'm assuming it is because the smaller fragments amplify more
  efficiently.  These are not always apparent on the trace but there is a
  distinct population of reads between 50-250 bp (mode ~ 150 bp) in the
  final data sets when the main library is typically 500+ bp.  In fact we
  Pippin the libraries with a gate range of approx. 500-800 bp so why the
  hell there are still small fragments is beyond me.  We're still trying to
  arrive at a reliable and consistent way of removing this material.  It's
  not that it isn't good data but it often causes runs to fail due to over
  clustering.  The flow cells are loaded based on molar calculations and if
  you are not accounting for the small stuff you can be loading 5 or 10
  times more than you think.

  I know this discussion has been somewhat outside of the scope of this
  forum but then again understanding the wet lab side of things can give
  you a better understanding on the nature of the data.

  Shaun

  Inactive hide details for Andrej Benjak ---2014-11-04 01:59:04 AM---We
  are often dealing with small starting material and foundAndrej Benjak
  ---2014-11-04 01:59:04 AM---We are often dealing with small starting
  material and found the TruSeq  Chip library kit is much bet

  From: Andrej Benjak <abenjak@xxxxxxxxx>
  To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: 2014-11-04 01:59 AM

  Sent by: mira_talk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  We are often dealing with small starting material and found the TruSeq
  Chip library kit is much better than the standard TruSeq. It can handle
  5-10 ng of DNA, but we have done it with less (even from what appeared to
  be empty tubes!). We normally do 18 PCR cycles.
  I have never checked the read coverage distribution in detail since we
  mostly use our sequences in mapping analyses, but from looking at the
  genome browser it looks ok.
  What can happen with very small starting material is the higher
  occurrence of duplicate reads (PCR duplicates), which has to be
  considered when assessing the sequencing coverage, but perhaps this is
  our special case because most of our DNA derives from the host, and the
  bug we are interested in is poorly represented.

  Best,
  Andrej

  On 11/04/2014 02:31 AM, Kevin Chen wrote:
        Hi Shaun, thank you very much for your explanation. I talked to our
        lab manager and we are very interested to test out the minimal
        amount that TruSeq library can handle. Do you have any suggestion
        on cycle number and the starting amount of material recommendation?
        For example, what number of PCR cycles works for an amount of like
        100ng of DNA? I understand it is empirical but it would be huge
        help for us to start.

        Another question is when you measure the depth of coverage, what
        metrics you used to measure the skew in depth of coverage? I am
        thinking of coefficient of variation, but it might be over
        simplifying the measurement.

        Thank you very much!

        On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Shaun Tyler <
        Shaun.Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
              We've successfully made TruSeq libraries when amounts have
              been so low we've been unable to quantitate.  It just
              requires playing with the PCR cycles and going on faith.  So
              the minimum requirement isn't really the "minimum".
              Something to keep in mind with Nextera is that it may only
              require a small amount of input but you will still need to
              obtain larger amounts from your samples for good results.
              The yields need to be high enough to accurately quatitate.
              Because the tagmentation reaction is very much ratio
              dependant if you stray from the recommended input amounts you
              can shear it way too much or not enough.  Either way the
              sequencing results will be poor.  This isn't as much of an
              issue with TruSeq as the sonicating isn't affected by
              concentration that much.  We've also found with the Qbit that
              concentrations below about 1 ng/ul (using the low range
              standards) really can't be trusted.  So if you are
              anticipating very low yields from your samples TruSeq might
              still be the best way to go for consistent results.

              We've done hundreds of both types of libraries primarily on
              bacteria and there is a noticeable skew with Nextera.  If you
              map the reads back to the assembly (or are using an assembler
              that produces more than just a fasta file) it is quite
              apparent.  2 to 3 fold differences in depth of coverage are
              not uncommon (Bastien originally helped sort this out).
              Because of this we've been primarily using SPAdes as it does
              not seem to be adversely affected by the uneven
              distribution.  However what we lack in the resulting
              assemblies is any reliable information regarding copy number
              for repetitive regions.  The depth of coverage gives you some
              indication but because of the skewed distribution even that
              can't be completely trusted.

              Other than the input requirements between the two approaches
              the biggest attraction to Nextera XT was the cost.  It was
              significantly cheaper per sample than TruSeq and when your
              planning on a couple of hundred samples that was a
              significant concern.  But Illumina recently slashed their
              prices on TruSeq so that's not as big of a factor any more.
              They are more labour intensive and involve more in consumable
              costs but we're starting to migrate more towards TruSeq now
              because of the cleaner data.

              BTW - cDNA was mentioned which implies transcriptome analysis
              in which case I would definitely NOT use Nextera XT.  With
              the distribution skew you would never be able to trust
              anything other than genes that are substantially up or down
              regulated and any quantitative measurements would just be
              ball park estimates.

              At least that's my opinion ;-)

              Shaun

              Inactive hide details for Kevin Chen ---2014-10-29
              11:17:41 AM---Nextera XT uses 1ng gDNA or cDNA. That is
              a huge advantage. AdKevin Chen ---2014-10-29 11:17:41
              AM---Nextera XT uses 1ng gDNA or cDNA. That is a huge
              advantage. Adrian, can you give more details on the

              From: Kevin Chen <wchen20@xxxxxxxxx>
              To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Date: 2014-10-29 11:17 AM
              Subject: [mira_talk] Re: a question about Nextera Kit vs
              TruSeq Kit
              Sent by: mira_talk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

              Nextera XT uses 1ng gDNA or cDNA. That is a huge advantage.

              Adrian, can you give more details on the coverage
              consistency, what metrics you used to measure it? Thanks!

              Regards,
              Bing

              On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Chris Hoefler <
              hoeflerb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                    How minute are we talking about? TruSeq Nano can start
                    with ~100 ng unsheared gDNA.

                    On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Kevin Chen <
                    wchen20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                          Hi, Bastian & Mira community

                          I am Bing from U of Maryland. When I read your
                          Mira manual, I notice this statement below. I am
                          interested in getting more information on that.
                          Because Nextera kit has its own advantages that
                          TruSeq does not have, for example, working with
                          minute amount of material, I have high hope for
                          Nextera. Do you have any prelim data to support
                          this statement? If this is true, I have to
                          re-think a lot of my experiment design using
                          Nextera, that’ll change a lot of things.

                          "For de-novo assemblies, do NOT (never ever at
                          all and under no circumstances) use the Nextera
                          kit, take TruSeq. The non-random fragmentation
                          behaviour of Nextera leads to all sorts of
                          problems for assemblers (not only MIRA) which try
                          to use kmer frequencies as a criterion for
                          repetitiveness of a given sequence."

                          Thank you in advance,
                          Bing

                    --