[mira_talk] a question about Nextera Kit vs TruSeq Kit

  • From: Kevin Chen <wchen20@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:03:39 -0400

Hi, Bastian & Mira community

I am Bing from U of Maryland. When I read your Mira manual, I notice this
statement below. I am interested in getting more information on that.
Because Nextera kit has its own advantages that TruSeq does not have, for
example, working with minute amount of material, I have high hope for
Nextera. Do you have any prelim data to support this statement? If this is
true, I have to re-think a lot of my experiment design using Nextera,
that’ll change a lot of things.

"For de-novo assemblies, do NOT (never ever at all and under no
circumstances) use the Nextera kit, take TruSeq. The non-random
fragmentation behaviour of Nextera leads to all sorts of problems for
assemblers (not only MIRA) which try to use kmer frequencies as a criterion
for repetitiveness of a given sequence."

Thank you in advance,
Bing