[mira_talk] Re: RFC: bundling or not bundling rRNA databases with MIRA

  • From: Peter Stockwell <peter.stockwell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 19:48:11 +0000

At 10Mb why not just include it and be done with it.

Regards
Peter Stockwell

On 17/12/2015 5:11 pm, "Bastien Chevreux" <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

I plan to release MIRA 4.9.6 soon, either shortly before Christmas or by
mid January. While the bump in version number is small, a lot has
happened behind the scenes.

One feature I have added is the ability of mira/mirabait to directly fish
for or fish out rRNA sequences, something extremely useful in RST/RNASeq
assemblies. There¹s just a slight problem: the dataset for this
functionality is ~10Mb. Not several gigabytes like RFAM, Silva or other
rRNA databases, just 10 megabytes Š and with that one should be able to
recognise rRNA reads for the vast majority of sequenced organisms on this
planet.

The question I currently have: do I bundle this together with the MIRA
binaries or not?

Pro:
- easy install for novices (and forgetful ppl)
- easy for package and system maintainers

Con:
- the size of the binary distributable package doubles from 10 Mb to 20 Mb

I¹m strongly tending for bundling as in today¹s world, 10 Mb or 20 Mb are
more or less negligible sizes. However, I would like to have feedback on
this just in case someone sees a larger inconvenience.

You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the mira_talk