[mira_talk] Re: RFC: bundling or not bundling rRNA databases with MIRA

  • From: Andrej Benjak <abenjak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:21:40 +0100

From my side, do whatever is most convenient for you Bastien, both alternatives are equally fine for me.

Cheers,
Andrej

On 17-Dec-15 07:56, Sven Klages wrote:

You could, however, provide the dataset as some kind of "accompanying" package/download. It's not a matter of 10 or 20Mb, it's just that binaries do change quite frequently; this dataset will probably remain pretty static. And maybe in future there will be some other, additional dataset extending the functionality of MIRA, maybe larger, 100Mb,...
I'd spearate data from programs.

my 2p,
best,
Sven

Hi,

That would be great. Look forward to the release. Please bundle :)
Good for novices like me.

Thanks

Chitra

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Liam Elbourne
<liam.elbourne@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:liam.elbourne@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Bastien,

Bundle away, as you say, 20 Mb is nothing these days.

Regards,
Liam.

_---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------_

Dr Liam Elbourne

Research Fellow

Paulsen Laboratory

Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences

Macquarie University

On 17 Dec 2015, at 3:11 PM, Bastien Chevreux
<bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Dear all,

I plan to release MIRA 4.9.6 soon, either shortly before
Christmas or by mid January. While the bump in version number
is small, a lot has happened behind the scenes.

One feature I have added is the ability of mira/mirabait to
directly fish for or fish out rRNA sequences, something
extremely useful in RST/RNASeq assemblies. There’s just a
slight problem: the dataset for this functionality is ~10Mb.
Not several gigabytes like RFAM, Silva or other rRNA
databases, just 10 megabytes … and with that one should be
able to recognise rRNA reads for the vast majority of
sequenced organisms on this planet.

The question I currently have: do I bundle this together with
the MIRA binaries or not?

Pro:
- easy install for novices (and forgetful ppl)
- easy for package and system maintainers

Con:
- the size of the binary distributable package doubles from
10 Mb to 20 Mb

I’m strongly tending for bundling as in today’s world, 10 Mb
or 20 Mb are more or less negligible sizes. However, I would
like to have feedback on this just in case someone sees a
larger inconvenience.

Bastien

-- You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the
mira_talk mailing list. For information on how to subscribe
or unsubscribe, please visit