[mira_talk] Metagenomic 454 Titanium Assembly

  • From: Ryan Lesniewski <lesn0011@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:16:02 -0500

Hello,

First,  I want to say that MIRA is an incredibly flexible, and
well-documented/explained program....big thanks!  It is incredibly hard to
come by this rare breed these days.

Now, my big question is:  Is MIRA flexible enough to handle about 2 million
(~350 bp avg.) metagenomic reads from an environmental sample?  Of course,
this dataset has many different organisms.  Can I strap up the quality and
stringency so that I can get organism specific, non-chimeric contigs?  Do
you have recommendations for parameter adjustments?

I have been playing around with the program and I have been successful in
getting many large contigs, but I am in the process of visualizing the read
assembly.

I also have metatranscript(cDNA) datasets from the same environments.  Any
suggestions on using the EST function to assemble some of the transcripts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ryan