[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #610

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:03:20 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 05, 12, 2002
in today's issue #610
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-067  & MS02-068
21st Mah Jong, a free online game
CloudEight Stationery
Reading Email Headers
Think Your Privacy Is Safe on the Internet
MailCleaner
Enable Wide Text Printing in Microsoft Word
CCC      Convert
        Selecting Mutable Files

What You Should Know About Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-067
Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2002
 http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-067.asp

December 4, 2002

An identified security issue in Microsoft® Outlook® 2002 could allow an
attacker to disrupt functionality in the program, thus preventing you from
reading e-mail until corrective action has been taken. You can help protect
your computer from this and other identified security concerns by installing
this update.

Products Affected by This Update
The following product requires updating:

Microsoft Outlook 2002
More Information About This Update
If you are running Outlook 2002, you should install this update.
(Outlook 2002 is available both as a standalone product and as part of the
Microsoft Office XP product suite.)
If you are running an earlier version of Outlook, or if you do not use
Outlook as your mail client, you do not need to install this update.
++
~~~~
What You Should Know About Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-068
Security Update for Microsoft Internet Explorer
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-068.asp

December 4, 2002

An identified security issue could enable an attacker to read files on a
computer that visited his or her Web site. By installing this update, you
can help protect your computer against this issue and bring Microsoft®
Internet Explorer up-to-date with respect to security.

Products Affected by This Update
The following products require updating:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 (Service Pack 2 required to install update)
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Internet Explorer 5.01 is not affected by this issue.
Earlier versions are no longer supported.
Users with earlier versions are strongly encouraged to upgrade.
++

 Mahjong Christmas Theme on line game
http://freechristmasgames.com/mahjong/mahjong.htm
21st Mah Jong, a free online game
Mah Jong is simple: just click on two matching tiles (with the same
pictures).
Click the first tile, than the second tile and so on.
If two selected tiles match, they disappear. Selected tiles are highlighted.

You may select only tiles which have the left margin free or the right
margin free or both and which are completely uncovered by other tiles.
If the two selected tiles match they disappear from the screen.
The goal of 21st Century Mah Jong is to remove all the tiles from the board.

If no more matches are available, the game is over
If you try to select two tiles that do not match, an error sound will play.
To play again click on the replay button.
++

CloudEight Stationery ~ free
http://thundercloud.net/stationery/
Bringing magic to your email !

Welcome to the Web's largest and most popular site for high-quality, free
email stationery!.
All CloudEight stationery, Screen savers, Wallpaper WonderScreens,
QuickNotes, and  Acpressions? are free .
Stationery designs are listed by collection in the Stationery Library to the
right.
Stationery is available as an entire collection or individual downloads.
Easy to use help pages for all of our software.
++

Information Avenue Tutorial - Reading Email Headers (Source Code)
<http://www.thundercloud.net/information-avenue/reading-mail-headers/reading-
mail-headers3.htm>

Now you will see the "source code" of the email that you are checking. The
sample below is one that we received and it appears to have come from "us"
when in fact it did not. As noted on our KLEZ virus information page, this
is one of the "tricks" this virus does to confuse people. It makes itself
appear to come from a random address in the infected users address book. In
this case, our address was in an infected persons address book and it
actually sent a copy to us!  Don't worry; you cannot get infected by viewing
the source code of a mail!

Now to see where this really came from, you will have to look closer at all
the text that you see in this window. The window does not resize, so go
ahead and click the "Message Source" Button to see the text in fuller view.
++

Think Your Privacy Is Safe on the Internet? Think Again by Mirko Zorz
http://www.net-security.org/news.php?id=1510
Today you can do more than simply resign yourself to having your every
online step or utterance monitored, tracked and recorded. Many tools offer
protection against common online privacy violations.

Such measures, experts warn, are crucial for Web surfers. "Paranoia is when
you set up a panic room in your house," says Jay Foley, a computer-security
expert at the Identity Theft Resource Center in San Diego, Calif. "If you do
simple things that cut down on someone else's ability to steal your
information and harm you, that's not paranoia -- it's simple common sense.
The risk is clearly there."

Indeed, despite advances in computer security, hacking continues virtually
unabated. Unknown attackers recently stole the Social Security numbers of
265,000 state employees in California by breaking into a state payroll
system. Privacy threats lurk even in normal Web usage. Consider the small
tags, benignly called cookies, that are automatically downloaded to users'
computers when they visit certain Web sites. The cookies are designed to
identify the users of a Web page, and can store information about their
identity and shopping preferences. This allows Amazon.com, for example, to
recognize you when you return to the site and to recommend new products to
you. But the cookies also allow Web advertisers to track, on behalf of their
clients, the Web sites that individual computer users have visited and
whether they clicked on online banner ads.
++
From; www.net-security.org

MailCleaner v4.0 ~ free
http://www.mailcleaner.com/
Win 95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP
MailCleaner is a system that helps you to protect your computer from
receiving infected emails (that are suspected to contain viruses).
MailCleaner constantly checks your incoming mail and the files you are
downloading using several popular web applications in order to verify that
your computer receives no viruses. When an incoming mail is suspected to
contain a virus, MailCleaner will automatically delete it and notify you.

Q: Does MailCleaner work with other Anti-Virus programs? Any conflicts ?
A: One of the reasons why MailCleaner is so convenient is that one can use
MailCleaner together with any other Anti-Virus programs without any
problems. The main difference between MailCleaner and other Virus protection
software is that MailCleaner is a virus detection software,which means it
focuses on preventing the virus from entering to the users computer.
However, if a virus does reside on the computer you would have to use
another Anti-Virus software to remove it.
 ++

Enable Wide Text Printing in Microsoft Word
 Windows all versions
When you print a document that contains extended characters, such as
Greek symbols, to certain printers that do not support Unicode
characters, the extended characters may be printed as square boxes.
This tweak should resolve the problem on most printers.

From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Convert
Freeware (free registration required)
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Convert is an easy to use unit conversion program that will
convert the most popular units of distance, temperature, volume,
time, speed, mass, power, density, pressure, energy and many
others, including the ability to create custom conversions! You
simply select the tab of the category you want, select the input
unit, select the output unit, and type in the input value."
~~~~~~~

Selecting Mutable Files
Do you ever have the need to open or print multiple files at the
same time? You can select multiple files at the same time by just
holding down the Ctrl button while selecting the files you
desire. If you select a file accidentally, you can get easily
unselect it by continuing to hold down the Ctrl key while
clicking the undesired file. You can deselect all of the files,
by releasing the Ctrl button and clicking on a blank area of the
screen.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~