[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #609

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 11:40:57 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 04, 12, 2002
in today's issue #609
New Chernobyl virus strain detected
CompassV.2.83
Disable Network Messenger Service
Star Trek game
DzSoft Favorites Search v1.03
Truth About Computer Virus Hysteria
Holiday Clip Art
CCC      PrintFolder
        Start Up

New Chernobyl virus strain detected
December 4, 2002
http://www.pcflank.com/news031202.htm
Panda Software, a Spanish-based antivirus company, reports the appearance of
a new strain of the devastating W95/CIH10XX virus ? also known as the
Chernobyl virus - which can be so damaging to some computers that it will
render some BIOS chips and even entire motherboards, unusable.

Panda somehow obtained a copy of the new Chernobyl variant, though it is not
been seen "in the wild".

According to the Panda report the virus deletes the contents of the hard
disk and prevents infected computers from being booted. To carry out its
infection, CIH.1106 goes memory resident on affected systems.

On Windows 98, Windows 95 or Millennium computers, the strain waits for
files with an EXE extension to be run and spreads its infection code in the
unused spaces in these files. In this way, the size of infected files does
not increase, which avoids arousing suspicion. However, on computers with
Windows 2000, NT or XP operating systems, the virus stays memory resident
but does not infect files.

The virus activates its payload on the 2nd of every month. The original
variant, first detected in 1998, activates its payload on the 26th of April,
the date of the Chernobyl nuclear catastrophe.
++
See also;
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w95cih1106.html

CompassV.2.83 bookmark manager

Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000.
Netscape 2.x - 4.x, MS IE 3.x - 5.x and Opera 3.x - 5.x on
 Compass has been a popular and powerful bookmark manager utility program
since its first release in January, 1997. It supports three most popular
browsers - Netscape, Internet Explorer, Opera, and also any generic browsers
specified by the OS. What makes Compass unique is the power of handling the
hierarchical structure of folders. With Compass, you'll be amazed how easy
you can find and organize your bookmarks the way you want, and how easy you
can integrate all bookmarks from different computers or different browsers.
Not only is Compass a bookmark manager, but it is also an "outline editor"
or a "note editor." You can use Compass to create your personal journal,
notes, outlines, memos, ? etc. When you use Compass as an outline editor,
you will find Compass is even better than the programs that were created for
that purpose. Compass can easily handle more than thousands of bookmarks.
++

Disable Network Messenger Service
(Windows NT/2000/XP)
The Messenger service is normally used to transmit net send and Alerter
service messages between clients and servers. Recently it has been
employed by marketers for sending unsolicited advertising popups (SPAM)
over the Internet.
This tweak allows you to disable this service.

From; Windows Registry Guide Update from WinGuides.com
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

Star Trek game

http://services.tos.net/text/misc/tos-drink.txt

We have all (Ok those that are over 21.. 19 in some states/provinces)  heard
of Drinking games.
Some one has listed the rules for those Star Trek fans!

More Star Trek information and links for those that might be
interested: http://services.tos.net/

Thanks to; Christy

DzSoft Favorites Search v1.03 ~ Freeware
http://www.dzsoft.com/favseek.htm
For Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and newer
Internet Explorer plug-in that adds a convenient explorer bar to search in
Favorites.
If you are an active web surfer and have tons of stuff in Favorites, try
DzSoft Favorites Search and soon you can't imagine how you lived before you
found it!
++

Truth About Computer Virus Hysteria
http://Vmyths.com

A-Z list of computer virus hoaxes
http://Vmyths.com/hoax.cfm

How to spot a hoax computer virus alert
http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=19&page=1

Reduce virus hoaxes inside your company
http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=20&page=1

False Authority Syndrome
http://Vmyths.com/fas/fas1.cfm

Hoaxes NOT related to computer security
http://Vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=16&page=3

Comedy vs. virus hysteria?  Believe it!
http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=82&page=1

An intelligent website searching for intelligent neighbors
http://seti.Vmyths.com:5517

From; VMyths.com newsletter

Holiday Clip-Art
http://dgl.microsoft.com/default.asp?tPhrase=special%2520occasions
Download free images and sounds for Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and more.

From; Microsoft

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

PrintFolder
Freeware
http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/index.html

PrintFolder is a simple utility to print a list of files and
folders, a feature missing in Windows Explorer. Right-click any
folder in Windows Explorer and choose 'PrintFolder,' or select a
folder with the browse button on the toolbar menu. Click the
Options tab to set various program preferences, like maximum
filename length, left margin, font size, invert text area colors
and more."
~~~~~~~

Start Up
If you want to add a program to the Start menu, it's a simple
process.

Open Windows Explorer and find the folder containing the program
you want in your Start menu. It will likely be a file ending in
the extension ".exe". Now grab the program's icon with your left
mouse button and drag it over to the Start button, which will
likely pop up (the program icon is found to the left of the file
name). Let go of the icon and it should instantly appear at the
top of your Start menu. Note that you're not moving the program's
location, merely making a shortcut to it.  Some newer windows you
can actually place it anywhere in the startmenu programs listing
as well.

Now, every time you click on the Start button, you see your
program on the list. Click on it to launch the program.
Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~