[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #608

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:35:33 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 03, 12, 2002
in today's issue #608
The 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
The n_Gen Design Machine
3D Traceroute
Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0
VCDEasy 1.1.3
EnVaDoR's Case
SmartDBA? Cockpit
CCC      All you can Read
        Locate Windows Key

The 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/
Most scholars know about the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica,
considered "the best encyclopedia ever written" by many,
including the creators of this site. And if you don't have
a good set of encyclopedias at home (either for your own
use or for the kiddos), you really need to bookmark this
link. This version "fills 29 volumes and contains over 44
million words." It is the ultimate research tool!

Thanks to; Christy

 n_Gen Design Machine.
http://www.n-generate.com/
Free demo trial available
"The n_Gen Design Machine is a rapid prototyping graphic design engine that
automatically generates savable graphic files from a combination of the
user's own text content and the n_Gen Design Modules."

With n_Gen's Design Modules?, you can create artwork in a variety of popular
genre's and styles. Make posters, flyers, CD jackets?with the click of a
button! Simply input your own text information, press the "n_Generate"
button, and away you go. It's that simple! The images you create are yours
to keep and use as you wish. You'll be 'designing' like a real pro in no
time. Download your free demo copy and start n_Generating today!

Tell n_Gen what type you want to appear on a CD cover and it actually lays
it out for you.
If you don't like the design, just press a button and a whole new design
appears.
This program can also be used to create web sites and other designs.

3D Traceroute ~ free
http://www.hlembke.de/prod/3dtraceroute/
a graphic traceroute tool latest version
Replace all your ugly ping plotters and traceroute programs with a full
blown three dimensional traceroute program.

And best of all: It's free. No money, no postcards, no beer. Just free.
3d traceroute display, multiple graphics modification options
statistic-window with min, max, average, standard deviation
Whois query to everything with one click
history-window with destination ping time
record and playback: record any trace and playback step by step
and the browser is already built in.
++

Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0
http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0 is the first and the only PC security product
that combines stateful inspection firewall, signature based intrusion
detection engine and active sandbox protection against to all new and
unknown viruses, worms and trojans.
++

VCDEasy 1.1.3
http://www.vcdeasy.org/
VCDEasy runs under Windows 9x/Me/NT4/2000 and XP.
VCDEasy (Freeware) allows you to play your videos (from DV camcorder, DivX,
DVD,...) and your pictures (from digital camera, scanner,...) on most of the
home DVD Players. How ? VCDEasy allows you to build easily VideoCDs
(VCD/SVCD)! All you need to do is to provide VCDEasy with MPEG files
compliant with the VideoCD specifications (see below). 'Novice' users can
simply select (VideoCD ready) MPEG files and click the 'go' button, while
'advanced' users can configure/use almost all aspects of the VideoCD
specifications (PlayBack Control based interactivity, Chapters, Menus
support, CD-i support...).
++

EnVaDoR's Case
http://www.envador.com/
Welcome to EnVaDoR's Case pictures website.
This is were I post pictures of strange, unusual and weird
computer cases I've made ...  :)

GingerbreadPC ~Time Spent: 4 Days
Click image for more.
Ring in the holidays with a holiday mod! Hehe.
I had tons of fun making this Gingerbread House PC.
The computer is 100% non-perishable.
I took an arts-and-crafty approach for this creation.

SmartDBA? Cockpit ~ free
<http://www.bmc.com/offers/campaign/smartdba_cockpit1_050102/>
Control all of your database platforms? Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server,
DB2 Universal Database? from a single interface via your web browser.
Download SmartDBA? Cockpit now - at no cost to you!

DBAs can no longer specialize in just one database. Learning different
tools, SQL language syntax, etc. for several databases is challenging. DBA
workloads and demands are increasing and DBAs need to respond quickly even
when they are not at their desks. DBAs must have the ability to:

Administer and manage multiple distributed databases
Access and respond to database problems quickly
Be productive on all platforms quickly
SmartDBA Cockpit allows you to:

Manage schema and data for Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and DB2 Universal
Database through one consistent interface
Launch BMC Software expert DBA tools from this single point of integration
Navigate complex data relationships using the patent-pending referential
integrity-aware Data Editor
View and edit multimedia rich data (.gif, .jpg, .mp3, and .avi, etc.)
Edit and run scripts from anywhere using the SQL Scratch Pad
Manage user privileges and roles through a single, consistent GUI
Extract DDL for database objects and their dependencies quickly
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

All you can Read

http://allyoucanread.com

The largest searchable directory of magazines, newspapers and
information sources from around the world with personalized news
collections.   23,000 Magazines and Newspapers from 200
Countries. AllYouCanRead.com is a complete guide to world media
sources where readers find stories quickly -- whether it's news
from Time Magazine or a small regional weekly newspaper in Asia.

~~~~~~~

Locate Windows Key
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.html
If you have more than one PC you'll soon run into the problem of
identifying the Windows product key for individual machines.
This free utility recovers the key from the registry.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~