[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #607

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:50:10 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 02, 12, 2002
in today's issue #607
Mail Password Recovery v1.0
Next Microsoft OS "Longhorn"
Free Holiday Graphics
WBC2JPG for Windows
CDCheck
Clu Clu Land
CCC      ToolsPackage
Bypassing The Windows Logo On Startup

Mail Password Recovery v1.0 [10k] W9x/2k/XP FREE

http://www.mywebattack.com/gnomeapp.php?id=105330

Mail Password Recovery allows you to recover your e-mail password for any
POP3 account, as long as it is stored in an e-mail program on your computer.
You just need to temporarily change the settings in your e-mail program, so
that it connects to Mail Password Recovery instead and your password will be
revealed. Mail Password Recovery works by emulating a local POP server; your
e-mail program hands over the password when it connects, and Mail Password
Recovery will show it to you. The program only works with e-mail
accounts/passwords that have the login information stored in your e-mail
program (Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.) [MWA]

From: Lockergnome
http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20021129.html

Next Microsoft OS "Longhorn" will be radical change from XP
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/97709_longhorn29.shtml
By Dan Richman ~ Seattle post-IntelligencerAN RICHMAN

Windows XP has been on the market for a year now, so naturally everyone is
clamoring for details on the next version of the world's most popular
operating system -- or so Microsoft Corp. hopes.

Details are dribbling out, but Microsoft won't say a word on the record,
declining to comment for this story. Analysts and software developers
haven't been briefed, either.

But here's what has leaked out so far.

The next version of the world's most popular desktop operating system,
code-named "Longhorn," is due out in test form next year and in final form
in 2004. It will have a new look and feel, very different from Windows XP's.
Its guts will also be radically different from Windows XP's, because they're
based on XML -- extensible markup language, the emerging lingua franca of
the Internet. And it will be the first version that won't function fully
without new hardware.

"With the possible exception of Windows NT, which was a change from the
ground up, this could be the biggest change ever" to Windows, said Giga
analyst Rob Enderle.
++
Thanks to; Markb ~  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pro_tech

Free Holiday Graphics from Linda
http://personal-computer-tutor.com/xmas.htm

Hi gang...just wanted you to know that I put up a page of holiday
graphics, if anyone is making computer cards or holiday websites,
etc....feel free to grab any you like.  There's ones for Christmas,
Hannukkah, and New Years.

Linda ~ Publisher ~ ABC ~ All 'Bout Computers
Owner ~ Linda's Computer Stop
http://personal-computer-tutor.com
FREE MS Office eBook Tutorial
http://personal-computer-tutor.com/library.htm

WBC2JPG for Windows
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/wbc2jpg/index.html
Freeware

"Do you need to convert Webshots images into their original JPG
format?
WBC2JPG - Extract JPG images from your WBC and WBZ files

Then the tool you need is WBC2JPG for Windows, that is able to
extract ALL JPG images from WBC (Webshots collections) and
WBZ files. After some requests, I reverse-engineered Webshots
to be able to decrypt images stored into WBC files.
This little utility is totally freeware."
Thanks to; Christy

CDCheck  ~ free
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
CDCheck is a utility for the prevention, detection and recovery of damaged
files on CD-ROMs with an emphasis on error detection. With CDCheck you can
check your CDs and discover which files are corrupted. By using the program
proactively, you can insure that your data on CD-ROMs are safe -- before
it's too late! CDCheck provides the following features: readability
verification, binary compare, CRC file creation (and verification) and file
recovery.
++

Clu Clu Land  game ~ freeware
http://www.sibgame.com/clucluland.html
Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP
The action in this game takes place in the world called Clu Clu Land. This
world is a closed space with several poles inside. You control a small
creature living in this world. It looks like a drop of jelly with hands and
legs. You move from one pole to another looking for hidden bars. As soon as
you find all of them, you uncover a picture. Move from one level to another
to find more pictures.

In order to solve the problem you must learn how to control the main
character. It's not that easy to do that. The main character is constantly
moving. It cannot stop and turn back. Instead, it can reach out a hand, grab
onto one of the poles and swing itself around. That is, if you are moving
north, and click the RIGHT button, you grab onto the closest pole and start
going around it counterclockwise. When you turn in the right direction, you
release the button and continue moving. Funny, isn't it?

Beware the monsters and try to always keep a safe distance from them. The
monsters can annihilate you and they will always disturb you. You have one
weapon - the energy wave - that can stun the enemies and make them numb for
some time. A numb monster is not dangerous. You can approach it, move it and
even crush it against the wall.

Download our game and try to complete a couple of levels.
It will not leave you indifferent. Maximum fun guaranteed!
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

ToolsPackage
Freeware
http://www.freewarehits.de/ToolsPackage.htm

ToolsPackage includes 50 small tools which can be started without
installation. There is a quick-start tool, currency calculator,
calendar-week, bookmark-checker, website-background checker, copy
paths, clipboard organizer, desktop-to-front, ASCII-Extractor,
alternate screen saver, cliptext-to-html converter, char counter,
entity converter (html), PathCopy for OpenExpert, ClipSort, text
trim, exe browser, Val2Words, tray manager, time calculator,
WinOnTop, AutoCopy, MultiReplacer, Tour, CheckASC,
Manual-Browser, CountDownWatch,
RemoveDisk, conf. manager, TaskbarCalculator, Random Generator,
CheckList, Keywords Generator, 2ndTime, WordCount, FontChart,
FileDuplicate, OpenURL, Open Groups, ClipEd, App-Diversion, >64k
Notepad-clone, ImageMemory, ClipHistory, ClipCalc, Hex Mon,
Volume control, an ignore-drive names tool, 2 small games and
more.

~~~~~~~

Bypassing The Windows Logo On Startup

To bypass the Windows 95/98 logo at startup:
You add the setting LOGO=0 to the MSDOS.SYS file.
When you eliminate the splash screen, however, there is a
small tradeoff. You won't go immediately to your Windows
desktop or to an application you've set to run on startup.
Instead, you'll first see a black DOS screen that displays any
real mode drivers that load during the Windows startup procedure.

You will find MSDOS.SYS in your root directory of
C:\,  double click the file will bring up the "open with"
selection box making sure "always open with is UNchecked"
select notepad. Once open simply add
Logo=0 as the very last line in that file.
Click file-> save and you are all done.
Keeping in mind this will over ride any other applications that may
change or edit your startup splash screen.

In Windows XP, you can do this by editing the boot.ini system file.
The easiest way to do this is to click Start and Run, enter msconfig
and click OK.
Select the BOOT.INI page.
You'll see the boot.ini file ready for editing, but also some check-offs
below that save typing.  Put a checkmark beside /NOGUIBOOT.
 Restart the computer.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~