[meego-fi] Forming an association

  • From: Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:46:52 +0300

o/

We had a chat about starting a non-profit open source developer association
in yesterday's meetup and actually decided to just to do it. The proposed
name for it is Devaamo ry (seems to be available). Why someone might ask,
well it's helps with anything related with money. Makes it easier to buy
hackable devices for the community, etc. presuming we get the needed funds
raised.

Currently founding members will be at least me, Jukka and Thomas. Jukka
asked if I could be the first chair since I've a couple of years experience
running an association. So unless someone really objects that I'm going to
take the ball on that.

Before calling the founding meeting we need some input for at least the
following things:
- What is the purpose of the association?

My take on this is that the purpose is to support open source development
and developers in the tampere region by device loans, hacking space,
trainings, etc.

- How the association raises it's funds?

At least donations, support membership fees, selling goods and services,
etc. Basically we need to list everything we come up with into the
association's rules.

- Practical issues like who's going to audit our accounts, etc.

- Something else.

And before the founding meeting I'm going to make a draft for the rules and
other needed papers and iterate them a few rounds on this mailing list so we
don't have to write those in the meeting.

All input welcome.

-Timo