[macvoiceover] Re: problem with a site, with the mac

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:35:12 -0500

Hi,

This may really belong on the bs list as it isn't about any current version of VO but it does speak to why VO and other screen readers for that matter, do not work in most highly complex online applications.

Such graphical and more complex web sites are slowly becoming accessible. Raman and Chen, a pair of blind software engineers who share an office at Google and, at least in Raman's case, have made major contributions to the world of accessibility have created a little thing called Ax is Jax which helps web developers convert their code into an accessible format that will work with screen readers prepared for the WAI/Aria standard.

I'm told that some of the Google applications are being tested using this technology. If you are interested in getting down to the nitty gritty of all of this, you can go to http://www.w3c.org/wai where all of the different guidelines are explained.

As of right now, the only screen reader that I know of that supports Aria is the JAWS 10 update put out recently and I haven't tried it my self. Mike Calvo (Serotek CEO) says that System Access will have support for these pages in soon and I've heard rumors that NVDA will also be Aria ready soon.

So, now it's up to the rest of the screen reader developers and web application hackers to follow the guidelines and the really cool poop can become accessible more easily than ever before.

Unfortunately, web sites that have invested a lot in Flash based applications are SOL in this area as its accessibility model, especially off of Windows where it sucks but isn't entirely useless, due to its closed model will not benefit from all of the really cool open system accessibility tools. I've been arguing with the Flash team for more years than I would like to remember and have surrendered. I will spend no more time trying to convince them to actually do the work that can make their software functional with screen readers. I have surrendered as the effort was effectively useless and so many really excellent people are doing really cool poop that is actually as accessible as the screen reader permits.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

OK, so for whoever is interested I had my girlfriend look at the site, and it's some kind of game where you see a house, and you can click on items to just do random actions with them (use the phone, play some music on the stereo etc...) so it's mainly graphic content, so not for us...!

On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

The site is all flash based and until Adobe make a VoiceOver compatible flash plugin for Mac you will not be able to use any flash content on the Mac.

You, and everyone else reading this should complain loud and long to Adobe about this. Andrew Kirkpatrick (akirkpat@xxxxxxxxx) is the person at Adobe for this issue.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi Keith, it is a site that Ashley Tisdale, one of the pop idles of
today had on her site, and this deals with embarassing moments, that
people have had in the past, just wanted to see how this site would do
with voice over, since I couldn't even go there on this machine.
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:05:38 -0500, Keith Reedy wrote:

I think this site is mostly graphic.

What is this site?

Keith reedy

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

Hi!
I should look at it using JAWS under Windows, but I think this sight
might be in Flash... Too bad!

On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:09 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi all, if you go to
http://www.degreegirl.com
you'll find that you can't interact with the site, plus, my mac mini
froze, and I thought it was going to crash, and this machine I'm
writing on can't even go there without giving me an illegal
operations
message, so I wonder if anybody else will have a problem with this
site, with voice over as well? I did see the title of the site, it
was
degree girl, omg, but nothing else.

Marty

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link
below.

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the
Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Marty