[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover and flash player

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:30:15 -0600

For those who are interested, there's an html5 demo located at:
http://www.softcon.com/html5/
It's actually an apple developer example program, and I didn't change a thing, just uploaded it for viewing, as I'm not sure if you can actually watch the video on the apple developer site or not. Regardless, you'll notice that when the movie is loaded, you can press the play button. When the movie is playing, you can pause, rewind, fastforward, and mute. You can even interact with the timeline, and use vo to move the movie to a particular spot in the video clip. This is as accessible as it gets. And, you'll notice that each and every button is labeled, and works perfectly well with voiceover, without any issues related to finding the video content, and locating the buttons. So, go take a look, then compare it to an equivalent flash movie, and see the difference not only in accessibility, but in cpu usage. My machine didn't bat an eyelash at streaming this video, whereas with flash, my cpu usage goes through the roof, and stays there until the flash content is done.