[macvoiceover] VO-compatible iPhone ringtone creator app, Plus Questions about WI-FI/cellular data & making 3-way calls on iPhone 5.

  • From: Ronald Johnson <ganahee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 02:19:02 -0500

Hello fellow listers,

        three quick questions for you:

        1. Anyone know of a good, easy-to-use, VoiceOver-accessible iPhone
ringtone creator for the Mac?  I got my 64GB iPhone 5 on the 27th, am starting
to become familiar with using it, but still have a long ways to go, but am
interested in starting to make my own ringtones from the vast iTunes library I
have.  Even if all the app does is convert a clip edited in a sound editor,
such as Sound Studio, into the M4R format, that'd be great, but a fully
VoiceOver-compliant app which would permit editing, etc, would be great too!

        2.  Can someone please explain how iPhone works, when it comes to
cellular vs WI-FI data?  I see, in my iPhone 5's status menu, signal strength
for both the Verizon network, as well as my WI-FI, so I know both work. I spend
most of my time at home, so does this mean, with the exception of voice mail,
making calls, and the like, that my phone automagically uses WI-FI for things
like TuneIn Radio, or does it use cellular data?  Right now my plan is the
Share Everything plan with 300MB of data, and I know I should upgrade this to
at least 2GB.  I just don't want my ignorance in this area to end up costing me
mucho dinero!  I did discover, in settings, that there was an option for
turning cellular data off, so I did this, for the time being.  I assumed that
the phone would use my wireless router, when in range, yet I discovered that I
ended up sending about 6.2MB of data and receiving about 4.3MB.  The 3 apps I
have on the phone, so far, which could be responsible for this, are Skype,
TuneIn Radio and Zello Walkie-Talkie.  So far, I've been obtaining my apps
using the iTunes App store, thru my MacBook and syncing them manually to my
iPhone.

        3. HOw the heck does one make 3-way calls with iPhone 5?  When I'm in
the phone app, am on a call, and have the keypad hidden, I see an "Add Call"
button, but usually it's dimmed.  I haven't seen, as of yet, any way to do
this.  FYI, it appears, at least for the moment, I only have 3G here and not 4G
LTE.  Would that make a difference at all?

        Any and all help in these areas will be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Ron

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

Messenger Services:

        AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Yahoo!: Ganahee
Skype: Ganahee

Alternate Contact:

        E-Mail: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxx
        Home: 605-759-0694
        Cell: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals.  Then something
happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".