[macvoiceover] Sibelius 5 for mac. established contact for support of voiceover.

  • From: Lewis Brock <lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mac-av@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mac Acess <mac-access@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:52:06 +0000

Hello all

this is an email to inform you of a possible breakthrough in music notation for the blind. for those of whom are familiar with windows XP, JAWS 4.51 and sibelius speaking scripts from dancing dots with sibelius 3.1, this was the only functioning access for the blind and visually impaired market besides goodfeel again from dancing dots. Both of these products discussed on the windows platform were limited in functionality and had some rather serious downfalls. not just this but after sibelius speaking for sibelius 3. no more accessible scripts were developed by dancing dots. this of course has caused many problems for people who want true access to this applcation framework for media composition work and more.

Now that sibelius 5 for the mac has been on the road for some time, I have been campaigning for access to this product for equal accessibility for the blind and visually impaired spectrum of people across the world in whatever form of usage or environment we are in. whether composers, musicians, tutors, students or media professionals.

I have just recently established contact with AVID and sibelius in relation to equal access to voiceover and sibelius 5 as well as photoscore ultimate. I have given guidelines and reference to the apple accessibility developer manual so that they are aware of the challenges ahead. they also have my support as a tester and technical musician and programmer so will be dedicating time to the research and development of necessary strategies which will need to be implemented throughout all dialogues, windows and event panes. including the most crucial area of all. the score window. editing a score and viewing notation in the spoken and braille mediums are of course crucial methods of accessibility. from graphical labeling work, to control interaction to other support frameworks which the voiceover development port offers, I have layed down the challenge and will commit my time between logic studio 8, reason 4, sibelius 5 and cubase.

wish me luck. if you have any ideas or want to be informed of news or support the actions being taken etc then please contact me either on or off list.

yours with thanks to all who read this

Lewis Brock

Lewis Brock
Totally Blind musician and composer of 21st century music

PHONE: +44 07857 352828
E-MAIL: lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx
MSN: lewis.brock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
SKYPE: lewisjbrock