[macvoiceover] Kerning type with CSS

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: General discussions on all topics relating to the use of Mac OS X by the blind <discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, elise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Furlong <Andrew.Furlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Beth Janes <mjanes@xxxxxxxxx>, Mike Shebanek <shebanek@xxxxxxxxx>, Iain Murray <i.murray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:05:38 -0600

Another of my pages on web design for the sighted and the blind. This time I look at the very visual skill of kerning type and how to do it with CSS so that it work with screen readers. You will note there are issue with screen readers and some forms of kerning using <span> tags. We need a way to have VoiceOver ignore span tags and read the whole word.

http://www.cucat.org/projects/navigation/kerning.php

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601