[mac4theblind] Re: virus program

  • From: Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 12:40:58 +0000

The attacks are totally preventable though if you run your general account as a
regular user and use admin privileges only when you need to. Since it’s Unix
underneath you have real user level security control unlike windows which is
more a suggestion than an actual security model.:)

Either way is fine, if you fell like running AV software then by all means no
harm I just don’t like extra software slowing down my machine when I don’t
practice unsafe computing practices and in full disclosure I have antivirus
hardware in the firewall which kills stuff on the wire before it even enters
the network. So apply your protection where you wish.:)

On Jun 2, 2015, at 3:10 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been reading more articles on attacks to the mac, and now the firmware
security breach, yeah, keep your stuff safe.
On Jun 2, 2015, at 11:55 AM, Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Doug, it’s my honest opinion that you not bother. If you run your normal
daily access at a user level instead of admin and if you don’t download a
lot of programs from places other than the apple store you really don’t have
anything to worry about. Virus code just doesn’t work the same way it does
in windows because the Mac doesn’t have the vulnerabilities that the
Microsoft products do. If you must McCafee has an option which at least as
much as I’ve used it seemed accessible but honestly I wouldnt bother and I
don’t say that lightly being in the profession but I honestly feel you’ll be
ok.

Thanks
Scott
’t Jun 2, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Doug Leavens <df.leavens@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there an accessible virus scanning/cleanup program for the mac?

Thanks in advance.