[mac4theblind] Re: Is there a way to make 2 boot disks via partitions?

  • From: Edward Lewis Redfern <edwardredfern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx the blind" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 07:19:54 +0000

you can achieve a multi-boot drive with os X very easily within disk utility.

Providing you’ve used terminal to create your mavericks volume first, you can
go into disk utility, grab your mountain lion install dmg file (installESD.dmg,
mount it, go to disk utility, select your pen drive at it’s header, create
another partition (do not use the top pull down menu, this kills your created
first partition) you need to select the add partition button below the
partition edit window. this will split your partition map in two and allow you
to set your partition for mountain lion as OS X Extended Journaled, rename the
volume as Mountain lion (initial name) and it’s volume size. in fact, if you
had a large enough drive, you could encapsulate the full boot installer range
from Tiger through to mavericks and select boot. Once you’ve performed the
partition resize and add structure, click Apply. this rewrites the partition
map but does not affect the boot load method or GUID structure.

the next bit is doing a restore process. ensuring that installESD.dmg is in
Disk utility’s “Selected Disks” pane, you select your Mountain lion partition,
tab to the Restore tab, navigate back to “Selected Disks” pane and select your
Mountain lion partition, VO Shift M and “Set as destination” and then go down
the list to “installESD.Dmg”, do a VO Shift M again and then “Set as source”.
now tab into the restore tab to the source and destination fields.

Source: installESD.dmg
Destination: Mountain Lion

if either are incorrect, go back to the “Selected Disks” pane and resolve as
above. Once done. run the Restore and it will verify your choice and ask for
admin password.

once created, you have 2 bootable partitions for recovery work.

lew