[londonlaw-users] Re: Client connection problems on OS X

  • From: Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlaw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:15:29 -0500

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 02:23:27PM +0200, Antti Rasinen wrote:
> The client, when run from command line, has some problems connecting to
> the server. The bundle-version does not suffer from such a bug.
>
> I used netcat to listen to the server port. When I input the necessary
> information, nothing happens.
>
> If I click on the Connect button again, the connection seems to be
> terminated. However, clicking the Quit -button a) closes the window b)
> connects to the server. B) is confirmed by both netcat and the game
> server (the client actually keeps asking for game information, even
> without the game window).

The client is multithreaded, and at some point I need to address the
fact that the quit button closes only the gui and not the background
connection-handling thread.

Maybe it's a threading glitch specific to your version of MacPython?

> Simple debug print statements traced the problem to esocket.py. We
> reach the line 48:
> self.socket.connect((hostname, port)) in make_socket.
> Any print statements after this are executed only after I've clicked
> the Quit-button.
>
> At this point I have to admit I've reached the end of my debugging
> abilities. I hope this helps, though.

It helps a lot.  Can you report your versions of OS X and MacPython?

Paul