[lit-ideas] Re: statisticions, anyone?

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:26:34 -0500

Simon Ward wrote:

Though not a statistician (just a sub-standard economist), I looked over the Lancet article and on the assumption that all their calculations are accurate (I'm sure they checked it), the only problem I could see in their methodology was in the procedural rules established to protect their interviewers. However, I doubt this would have impacted upon the results.

I've mentioned this before, I think, but it's now relevant again. The NPR radio show This American Life did an interview with the
author of the study when it first came out, and he does a pretty good job of explaining the methodology used in that study.

Here's a direct link:
http://207.70.82.73/pages/descriptions/05/300.html

For "This American Life" (from whence you can do a search for "Iraq") go to http://www.thislife.org/

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------