[lit-ideas] Re: resentment

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:17:48 -0500

>>I know you're afraid of Arabs, but there's no need to fear everyone not like you, Eric.

Afraid ... of Arabs? Where did that come from?

My comments were about you reading Lawrence's post -- reading about a comfortably retired guy (Lawrence) reflecting on the lot of the poor guy with several jobs. You ONLY identify with the poor guy. You don't see Lawrence. You don't react to Lawrence's wife and her illness, which was part of that post, and what that may mean for Lawrence. You don't see the poor guy's relatives (in Mexico, I assume). You don't see the coexistence of all these points of view. Your imagination blows a fuse and sputters out when you imagine the poor guy.

You see Lawrence and take umbrage. That's a significant failure of imagination, and it bothers me when it comes from an otherwise sympathetic and talented writer. That's the price of resentment in crippling the creative imagination. Poor guy: noble and good. Middle-class guy: bad. Middle-class guy's understanding of poor guy: stunted. It's like an Ayn Rand novel turned on its head: the deck's stacked from the get-go.